I’m starting to feel the heat of the Broken Wave deadline. In a good, “I will not let this sequel become vaporware” kind of way. When the writing gets real, I reach for my headphones. Music is an integral part of my everyday life and my creative process. I wouldn’t attempt to write a book without music anymore than I’d agree to a single minute at the gym without a playlist. It’s my preferred way to push through to the finish line.
As a blerd my musical appetites are diverse, sometimes unexpected, and intense. Judge my taste all you want Internet, cause I can’t hear you over the awesome.
When I wrote Girl Out of Water, I tried something new: making a core playlist for each POV character. So when I switched from the Tabitha chapters to the Irene chapters, I’d switch up the music too.
The combined Girl Out of Water playlists were almost 1000 songs strong, but here are some of the highlights.
Favorites from the Tabitha chapters of Girl Out of Water
- Alice Smith – Cabaret
- Metric – Wet Blanket
- Neko Case – Margaret vs. Pauline
- Rose Chronicles – Dwelling
- Tori Amos – Space Dog
Favorites from the Irene chapters of Girl Out of Water
- Bjork – Submarine
- Florence and the Machine – Cosmic Love
- Nina Simone – Pirate Jenny (naturally)
- P.J. Harvey – Grow Grow Grow, but her entire catalog is my go-to for strange and dangerous
- Theatre of Tragedy – On Whom the Moon Doth Shine
These tracks are for the drafting process which tends to be more subtle and plodding as does the music. The music I listen to during drafting registers in the faintest possible way. It’s almost a security blanket, but it has to be present in order for me to feel right even if I’m not consciously focused on it. Broken Wave’s initial draft was split between Seattle’s cryptid history and how that affected Tabitha’s time, so the playlist included a lot of classical music and instrumental. It’s shifted slightly more contemporary since that focus has been cut.
Broken Wave Playlist Highlights
- Black Mare – Cybele
- Craig Armstrong – Finding Beauty
- Ivy – Quick, Painless And Easy
- Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill
- MONO – Ashes in the Snow
- The Others Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
- Philip Glass – Vessels
- Prokofiev – Dance of the Knights
- Royksopp & Robyn – Monument
- The Sundays – Leave This City
Editing is where I get complicated. It’s not that the Lilith Fair-ness of it all goes away during editing, it’s just outnumbered and overpowered by EDM, arena rock, and yes Reader, Kanye by the pound.
- Journey – Anyway You Want It
- Kanye – Can’t Tell Me Nothing
- Kaskade, Deadmau5 – I Remember
- Outkast – B.O.B.
- Phantogram – Fall In Love
There are only 47 days until the release of Broken Wave, expect more dispatches about the struggle right up until the deadline.